Sustainable Fashion Design in Milan
- Duration: 1 academic year
- Attendance mode: Full-time
- Language: English
- Next start date(s):
- January 2021 (Applications are open)
- October 2021 (Applications are open)
- Class size: Limited class size
- Credits: 60 CFU credits
- Tuition Fees:
- EU Citizens – €18,950
- Non-EU Citizens – €23,900
A visionary course combining creative excellence with innovation and awareness to shape successful fashion designers who are ethically responsible
Scholarships available for the January 2021 edition of this course! See here for more information. Apply by 14th December 2020.
Fashion Designer, Sustainable Fashion Designer, Textile Designer, Footwear & Accessories Designer, Product Manager, Textile and Materials Researcher, Collection Manager, Art Director
This one-year Master’s in Sustainable Fashion Design is a full-time intensive course which shapes students into fashion designers who have a strong awareness of ethical and sustainable fashion.
The curriculum provides students with an in-depth understanding of creative and design aspects combined with a thorough technical knowledge of production and industrialisation, whilst ensuring an ethical procedure at every stage, beginning with materials and planning.
The course contains highly specialising modules such as garment construction, textile design, fabric finishings and embellishments, and accessory collections, providing students with a wide-ranging specialised skill set that will enable them to cover high-profile roles in fashion and luxury companies worldwide.
Taught by experts from the industry, the course gives students the opportunity to enhance their creative skills whilst also developing business awareness and critical thinking.
The course curriculum is forward-looking and varied and combines classroom lectures with seminars, practical workshops including meetings with brands, businesses, and industry experts, as well as field trips to trade fairs, fashion events, businesses and other key sector locations and businesses.
What you’ll learn
The extensive curriculum of our Master’s Course in Sustainable Fashion Design aims for you to develop a range of skills that will allow you to follow all of the stages linked to fashion design processes and to create fashion and luxury products that respect the principles of ethical fashion. This includes the briefing, trend and target definition, research, material selection, merchandising plan, product design, prototype development, costing, sampling, and production procedures. By the end of the course you will have compiled a professional portfolio of your work which you can use to present yourself to businesses in the future.
You will learn how fashion collections are designed and developed including specific aspects such as the choice of materials, prints and finishings and the research of details and decorations.
You will study fashion graphic design and the digital programmes used in the fashion environment.
You will examine accessory design creation processes, learning how to make shoes and bags.
You will study how to make a merchandising plan for wholesale and retail and understand costing. You’ll take a look at the professionals involved in fashion buying and merchandising and look in particular at how to approach fashion buying ethically.
You’ll learn how to construct garments using moulage and traditional artisanal techniques, and you’ll be able to use Lectra 3D CAD software to create 3D models of the prototypes made through moulage.
You’ll study textile design and design a fashion print collection. You’ll analyse textile decorating methods and gain a solid knowledge base of the main techniques for manipulating and re-using materials (including upcycling and recycling) to create a unique collection which takes into account the code of ethical fashion.
You’ll learn about sustainable fabrics and eco-friendly production processes which respect human rights.
You’ll do presentations and complete group projects as well as individual research work. You’ll take part in debates and discussions with established professionals and visiting experts, and you’ll go on numerous field trips to specific fashion and business locations.
The course also aims to give you the confidence and insight to be able to launch a business of your own through targeted lectures and workshops on personal branding. There will be strong emphasis placed on opportunities linked to eco-sustainability.
- Fashion Graphic Design (Photoshop &Illustrator)
- Collection Design & Planning
- Accessories Collection Development & Processing
- Collection Costing & Processing
- Buying Techniques & Merchandising
- Moulage & 3D Patternmaking
- Textile Design
- Fabric Finishings & Embellishments
- Eco-Fashion & Sustainable Fabrics
- Personal Branding & Portfolio
- Project Management & Start-Up
- Unrivalled Milan location: Our central location is right at the heart of Milan’s fashion district, right on the doorstep of some of the world’s biggest names and most exclusive brands.
- Pick up the latest insider tips: You’ll be taught by industry experts who all currently work within the sector for important brands or their own businesses.
- Gain experience: Workshops form a key part of our Master’s Courses and provide the opportunity to gain valuable experience to consolidate classroom learning.
- Internships: Our Placement Office works daily to create a wide range of internship opportunities for our best students at high-profile brands and businesses in the fashion and luxury sector.
- Made in Italy: Accademia del Lusso is an Italian school with a global outlook. All of our courses aim to convey the same qualities that make the Made in Italy brand such a worldwide benchmark for quality and innovation.
- University qualification: Gain a recognised university qualification from our partner university.
- Small class sizes: Our limited class size policy ensures for a richer learning experience and increased contact between teachers and students.
HOW TO APPLY
Accademia del Lusso has a personalised and flexible approach to admissions, and we accept applications from students with a wide range of qualifications.
To apply for this course, please fill in the online enquiry form and you will be contacted by our Admissions Office.
Your place on the course will be confirmed once you have completed the registration procedure and payment. There is no deadline for applications. The course has a limited number of students, and we recommend you apply early to avoid disappointment.
- 3-year undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Applicants with non-standard qualifications or who possess relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis
- Suitable knowledge of English
This Master’s Course will prepare you for top roles in the design of fashion and luxury products and collections, particularly in the evermore important area of sustainable fashion, including:
- Sustainable Fashion Design
- Fashion Design
- Textile Design
- Footwear & Accessories Design
- Fashion Collection Management
- Fashion Product Management
- Fashion Production
- Buying for the Fashion and Luxury Sector
- Textiles & Materials Research
- Art Direction
- Fashion Consultancy
The knowledge and skills you’ll acquire during the course will also be transferable to roles within other industries.
Accademia del Lusso maintains close contact with leading fashion and luxury brands and businesses. Our student Placement Office works to create new job and internship opportunities in the sector and also guides and orientates students in their search for placements relevant to their studies and career aims.
You’ll be supported in developing self-promotion skills and will gain access to the large network of contacts and opportunities available exclusively to students of Accademia del Lusso.